36 Reasons Why Having a Free Website is a Bad Idea
The thought of getting a free website is tempting. The internet is full of companies offering free website hosting even for self-hosted WordPress. You’re probably wondering what’s the catch? Why isn’t everyone else using a free WordPress website? In this article, we will share 36 reasons why having a free website is a bad idea and something that you should AVOID at all costs.
What Do We Mean by Free Website?
Most beginners who want to start their own website want to keep the cost low which is understandable.
So you typically Google the term free website and find many companies offering free website hosting services for free.
The thought of having free web hosting and building your site without paying anything is tempting.
Until you get a reality check. Once you sign up to these so-called “free website services”, you slowly start discovering the limitations and many of them turn out to be not free at all.
If you or your friend is thinking about getting a free website, then stop now.
And read these 36 reasons why free websites are almost always a bad idea.
- Extremely slow websites
- Unprofessional web address
- Trial Service is Not Really Free
- Hidden charges for free website
- They can lock down your data
- Irrelevant advertisements on your website
- They can shut down your website
- These companies can disappear at anytime
- You will lose your site address
- They can sell your information
- No site building tools
- No WordPress
- Limited WordPress
- Malware distribution
- You may become part of a link farm
- Limited bandwidth
- Low disk storage
- Vulnerable to hacking attempts
- HTML only sites with the limited number of pages
- Low credibility among your users
- Limited design choices
- No help or customer service
- You can’t run advertisements or make money
- There are no backups
- Difficult to get rid off
- No statistics or decent analytics
- You will be targeted with email offers
- No support for mobile devices
- No responsive designs
- No branded email
- No contact forms or email forwards
- Limited file upload features
- No way to setup redirects
- Investing time on the free website is unwise
- Not even for practice